Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, 1-43 Victoria Road, Victoria Road Calender

Works (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dundee, 1-43 Victoria Road, Victoria Road Calender

Classification Works (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) A & S Henry's; Victoria Road Works; 60 Victoria Road

Canmore ID 164365

Site Number NO43SW 165

NGR NO 40385 30799

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/164365

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Summary Record (2011)

Grand Gothic frontage of a calendar (finishing) works. Built in the 1870's by Robertson and Orchar and altered in 1914 when it became the headquarters of the jute company A & S Henry complete with marble fireplaces and panelled boardroom. The panels were lost through theft when the building was empty). The building has since been converted into aprtments.

Architecture Notes

NMRS NOTES

Architect: Lowe & Barrie - staircase in marble; alterations.

Activities

Photographic Survey (27 April 2010)

Photogrpahed by RCAHMS on behlf of the Buildings of Scotland Trust.

Publication Account (2013)

Built in 1874 and designed in the Scots Baronial style to fit into an improvement Act street by engineers Robertson & Orchar, the tall ground

floor was for press packing and dispatching. The calenders and mangles extended from the first floor into the hillside behind.

The second floor was fitted out by merchants A & S Henry as the counting

house for a business that included several mills in India. Acquired for use as the Industrial Museum for Dundee, a change of mind led to the evacuation of most of the museum items, and its conversion to housing, during which a fire necessitated careful restoration of the upper part of the building. Forebank Dyeworks (Francis Stevenson, from 1895 Wm Watson’s, 88 Victoria Road, NO43SW 164), two blocks to the east, also forms part of the Improvement Act Street. The 4-storey front building was converted

to housing in 1985.

M Watson, 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions