Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Crossford, Suspension Bridge

Suspension Bridge (19-20th Century)

Site Name Crossford, Suspension Bridge

Classification Suspension Bridge (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Carfin

Canmore ID 164249

Site Number NS84NW 35

NGR NS 8294 4603

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/164249

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Lesmahagow
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Activities

Field Visit (2 October 2017)

This footbridge across the River Clyde is an ornamental wrought iron late-Victorian or Edwardian suspension bridge built by Mr James Graham of Carfin Estate to link the Lanark Road on the west bank of the river to the policies of Carfin House on the east. The bridge is depicted on the 3rd edition of the OS 25-inch map (Lanarkshire 1911, Sheet 025.09) and was built with a gate at its midpoint that prevented access to Carfin. When the bridge was photographed by Professor Hume in 1978 all the wooden decking was missing; it was later restored and for a time formed part of the Clyde Walkway. It has since been closed for access due to the deteriorating condition of the decking.

Visited by HES Survey and Recording (AMcC, JRS) 2 October 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions