Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Tom Na Heron

Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Tom Na Heron

Classification Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Alternative Name(s) Inveravon

Canmore ID 16329

Site Number NJ23SW 2

NGR NJ 2084 3103

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Inveravon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Nineteenth-century accounts describe what appears to have been a Pictish symbol stone, which once stood amongst the field clearance cairns on Tom na Heron. The stone appears to have been lost at some point before the end of the nineteenth century.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project


Tom na Heron, Moray, Pictish symbol stone


Stone type:

Place of discovery: NJ 2084 3103

Present location: lost

Evidence for discovery: recorded by the Ordnance Survey around 1870 and lost by the end of the century.

Present condition:


The stone is said to have been incised with a serpent and other designs.

Date: possibly seventh century

References: Fraser 2008, no 163.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2018

Archaeology Notes

NJ23SW 2 2084 3103

(NJ 2084 3103) Standing Stone (NR)

Sculptured (Site of).

OS 6" map, Banffshire, 2nd ed., (1905)

A sculptured stone with the figure of a serpent and other symbols incised upon it, formerly stood among the small mounds, or tumuli noted on NJ23SW 1.

The date of its removal could not be found. This stone was not known to J R Allen and J Anderson (1903): it is not one of the three stones in Inveraven Churchyard.

Name Book 1869; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.


Field Visit (25 August 1966)

No further information.

Visited by OS (N K B), 25 August 1966.

Reference (1997)

Class I symbol stone (lost) bearing a serpent.

A Mack 1997.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions