Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glenfarclas Distillery

Distillery (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glenfarclas Distillery

Classification Distillery (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Ballindalloch

Canmore ID 16323

Site Number NJ23NW 9

NGR NJ 2115 3817

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Inveravon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Glenfarclas Distillery lies at the foot of Carn Guish, on the site of the farmstead of Recherlich.

Although whisky distilling began in 1836, Glenfarclas Distillery was extensively rebuilt in 1897 with further modernisation works carried out in the 1960s. Notable features include the characteristic pagoda-style roof on the still-house, and Glenfarclas has the distinction of possessing the largest stills on Speyside.

'The Ship's Room', a function suite in the visitor centre, features elegant oak panelling originally part of the smoking lounge on the 'Empress of Australia', a liner built by the Canadian Pacific Line in 1913. This was purchased by the distillery in 1973 for their newly-built visitor centre. By coincidence, an original set of blueprints for the 'Empress of Australia' came to light in the Archiestown Hotel, only a short distance from the distillery.

In 1865, Glenfarclas Distillery began its long association with the Grant family, who bought the distillery for the sum of #511.19s from its founder and tenant of Recherlich, Robert Hay. Since then, ownership of Glenfarclas Distillery has remained in the Grant family, with through generations.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions