Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 325 Carmunnock Road, King's Park, Aikenhead House

Country House (19th Century), Hospital (First World War)

Site Name Glasgow, 325 Carmunnock Road, King's Park, Aikenhead House

Classification Country House (19th Century), Hospital (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Croftpark Avenue; Menock Road; Aitkenhead Castle; Aitkenhead Auxiliary Hospital; Langside

Canmore ID 162873

Site Number NS56SE 480

NGR NS 59640 60269

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/162873

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Cathcart (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Aitkenhead House, King's Park, Carmunnock Road, 1806, probably David Hamilton [Small column 56]

The mansion sits in a hollow among several small drumlins perched on the steep slope rising from Polmadie through King's Park towards the Cathkin Braes, which form the southern lip of the Clyde Valley. Neoclassical pink ashlar two-storey main block, with hipped slate roofs and a fine Corinthian porch on west front. Top-lit stair hall with cantilevered stone steps and cast-iron balustrade. Deep one-and-a-half-storey wings, protected by giant pilasters, added 1823, David Hamilton. Converted to flats 1985. Gatepiers, early 19th century, probably David Hamilton. Four-panelled ashlar, part-painted piers, quadrants link outer pair to four inner. Modern wrought-iron gates. Early 19th-century brick-built walled gardens. Massive 1885 mannerist two-tier ashlar sundial, on elaborate base with a tall obelisk finial. One of three 19th-century reproductions of the 1635 Newbattle sundial. Stable block, probably David Hamilton. Three classical ranges around courtyard, closed on south by screen wall and entered from Croftpark Avenue.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NS56SE 480.00 59640 60269

NS56SE 480.01 59681 60091 Sundial

NS56SE 480.02 59356 60371 Gate Piers

NS56SE 480.03 59643 60025 Walled Garden

NS55NE 130 59558 59971 Stable Block

Architect: David Hamilton, 1823 (addition of wings and probably original house of 1806).

NMRS REFERENCE:

Copies of drawings in Adam Collection, Soanne Museum, Adelphi, 1777.

Vol.42 Nos 20-25 - 6 photographs plans and elevations

Vol. 53 No.48 - 1 photograph of freize detail

Vol. 23 Nos. 85 - 87 - 3 photographs chimney pieces.

NMRS Library

Newspaper cuttings - article by George Scott - Moncrieff - missing at time of upgrade, 21.6.2000

NMRS Manuscript Collection: Fragment of simulated leather wall paper from staircase with thistle design removed, 1980 - missing at time of upgrade, 10.7.2000

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Mitchell Library, J. Maclehose Country Houses - 1 print.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions