Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 162-164 Gorbals Street, British Linen Bank

Bank (Financial) (20th Century), Flat(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 162-164 Gorbals Street, British Linen Bank

Classification Bank (Financial) (20th Century), Flat(S) (20th Century)

Canmore ID 161778

Site Number NS56SE 429

NGR NS 58969 64179

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

162-170 Gorbals Street, 1897, James Salmon Jr

The last remaining Gorbals tenement, designed just before Salmon's elevation to the partnership. Arts & Crafts iron balcony over bay window; tower at the other end with small windows and steep pediments, the original turret missing. Scroll inscribed 'British Linen Company Bank' above entrance to former ground-floor bank, which was provided with a very atmospheric Glasgow Style interior by the 'Wee Troot', as Salmon was affectionately known. Compare with the contemporary Govan Cross Bank by John Gaff Gillespie, Salmon's colleague and future partner (see p. 00). Awaiting new use, abandoned and at risk.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press

Architecture Notes

NS56SE 429 58969 64179

NS56SE 2075 58967 64172 166, 170 Gorbals Street, British Linen Bank


Architect Salmon & Gillespie.

Site Management (2 April 1998)

Former British Linen Bank, shop and flats with Glasgow style detailing. 4-storey 6-bay red ashlar. Ground floor: close entrance flanked by shop and 2 round arched windows with radial glazing to bank. Bank entrance: fine wrought-iron gate under round arch supported by columns between channelled pilasters. Scroll inscribed "British Linen Company Bank". Cornices over ground and 1st floors. 1st and 2nd floors single and bipartite windows in Gibbs surrounds with canted bay window, S, rising into 2nd floor. 3rd floor semi circular and basket arched windows with an arts and craft iron balcony ovr canted bay. N bay treated as a tower with small windows, having steep pediments on 1st and 3rd floors. Turret missing. Sash and case windows with wooden mullions and transoms on 3rd floor. Slate roof. 3 ridge and 1 wallhead ashlar stacks. Rubble rear. (Historic Scotland)

The British Linen Bank (initially called the British Linen Company) was established by a Royal Charter in 1746. The new company was empowered to "carry on the Linen Manufactory" in all its branches, the word 'British' in its title was a reflection of the suspicion aroused by all things Scottish after the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745. Although the initial aim of the company was to promote the linen industry, from the late 1760s, it moved towards banking and began issuing notes. The bank continued to grow throughout the 19th century. Other than a temporary paralysis in trade in the late 1850s following the collapse of the Western Bank (along with the suspension of the City of Glasgow Bank), the British Linen Company survived most economic depressions relatively unscathed. In 1906 the company formally changed its name to the British Linen Bank. (LLoyds Banking Group archive)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions