Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Duffus, Old Parish Church

Burial Ground (Medieval), Church (Medieval)

Site Name Duffus, Old Parish Church

Classification Burial Ground (Medieval), Church (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) St Peter's Church; St Peter's Kirk; Duffus Old Parish Church; Peter Kirk

Canmore ID 16123

Site Number NJ16NE 2

NGR NJ 17513 68651

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16123

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Duffus
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ16NE 2 17513 68651

For St Peter's Cross (Duffus, Old Market Cross), see NJ16NE 3.

(NJ 1751 6865) St. Peter's Church (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map, Morayshire, 2nd ed., (1906)

St. Peter's Church was in existence in 1226. The mediaeval portions that survive consist of the basement of a western tower, and a porch on the south side that was built in 1524.

The rest of the mediaeval church is replaced by an 18th century structure.

The graveyard was formerly surrounded by a causewayed path made by a party of Cromwell's Ironsides.

W D Simpson 1951.

St. Peter's Kirk. (Information from MoW {HBM} plaque)

Information from OS, 1955.

The church is now roofless. Report by W D Simpson (1951) confirmed except for the causewayed path of which there is no evidence.

Visited by OS (E G C) 24 January 1963; W D Simpson 1951.

The roofless remains of this typical 18th century church incorporate portions of much older work, including a fine early 16th century porch with groined vault and the base of the former tower (now the Sutherland burial vault). The stairs on the N side and the E end gave access to timber lofts.

St Peter's Cross (NJ16NE 3), a typical medieval market cross, stands to the S, an indication of the days when markets were regularly held in such kirkyards. Some excellent table-tombs also survive, green and mossy.

I Shepherd 1986.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

SRO:

The division of the Church among the Heritors.

The minute gives some indication of the appearance of the interior of the building.

1782. GD 44/sec 37/Bundle 31

1. Ground floor plan.

2. Elevation of side.

1782 GD 44/sec 37/Bundle 31

Activities

Publication Account (1986)

The roofless remains of this typical 18th century church incorporate portions of much older work, including a fme early 16th century porch with groined vault and the base of the former tower (now the Sutherland burial vault). The stairs on the north side and the east end gave access to timber lofts.

St Peter's Cross, a typical medieval market cross, stands to the south, an indication of the days when markets were held regularly in such kirkyards. Some excellent table-tombs also survive, green and mossy.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: Grampian’, (1986).

Publication Account (1996)

The roofless remains of this typical 18th-century church incorporate portions of much older work, including a fine early 16th-century porch with groined vault and the base of the former tower (now the Sutherland burial vault). The stairs on the north side and the east end gave access to timber lofts.

St Peter's Cross, a typical medieval market cross, stands to the south, an indication of the days when markets were held regularly in such kirkyards.Some excellent table-tombs also survive, green and mossy.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: Aberdeen and North-East Scotland’, (1996).

Standing Building Recording (14 February 2013 - 15 February 2013)

NJ 1751 6865 (centred on) An assessment was undertaken, 14–15 February 2013, of seven slumped grave markers in the churchyard of St Peter’s Church. The markers were moved to pallets before being recorded. Nothing of archaeological significance was noted in the original cuts for the grave markers, except a few fragments of dressed sandstone of unknown origin, presumably used for levelling the markers when installed.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Historic Scotland

John Godbert, Kirkdale Archaeology, 2013

(Source: DES)

OASIS ID: kirkdale1-311447

Photographic Survey (5 September 2013)

Photographed for the Listed Buildings Area Survey 2013-14.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions