Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Bellgrove Street, Cattle Market

Livestock Market (19-20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Bellgrove Street, Cattle Market

Classification Livestock Market (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Graham Square; Duke Street; Gallowgate; Abattoir; Graham Street; Meat Market

Canmore ID 160692

Site Number NS66SW 176

NGR NS 60722 64975

NGR Description Centred on NS 60722 64975

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/160692

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

BELLGROVE

James Graham, one-time owner of the Saracen¿s Head Inn, tried to sell 22 plots for a suburban housing development at Graham Square before 1778. He was not successful until the city moved its cattle market to Bellgrove in 1817. The City Architect roofed over the cattle market after the Glasgow Markets and Slaughterhouses Act of 1865, extending the roof to cover the meat market ten years later.

Graham Square

14-28 Melbourne Street, former Slaughter House, c.1910, A B McDonald. Gateway, with two massive piers and wrought-iron gates bearing City crest. Moore Street, former Meat Market, c.1875, John Carrick. Classical round-arched opening, between giant Ordered frames. [40]Graham Square, west side, c.1997, McKeown Alexander. Office block and 20 flats for housing association screened by and supporting another entrance arch of similar size and style, which led to the Meat Market from the Cattle Market. Scottish Architectural Award, 2000. Graham Square, former Cattle Market main entrance, c.1866, John Carrick. Enormous central columned Roman Doric archway, flanked by pedestrian openings. [41] Market Hotel, 4 Graham Square, east side, renovation and new build c.1997, Richard Murphy Architects. Residential complex, with external steel stairs, steel balconies and glass canopies; linking two rebuilt 19th-century harled end pavilions by Carrick, now forming 17 flats. [42] Matador Building, Graham Square, east side, c.1995, Page & Park. Twenty-four flats for housing association. Civic Trust Award, 2000; Regeneration of Scotland Award, 2000. Bellgrove Street, c.1999, McGurn, Logan, Duncan & Opfer. New four-storey flats for housing association. Bellgrove Street, c.1866, John Carrick. A second, smaller, heavily rusticated opening in the channelled ashlar boundary wall led from the North British Railway cattle pens to the former cattle handling sheds beside the Cattle Market.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS66SW 176.00 60722 64975

NS66SW 176.01 60678 64817 Gateway

NS66SW 176.02 60658 64795 Meat Market Facade

NS66SW 176.03 60572 64702 Gateway

NS66SW 176.04 60787 64842 Gateway and Wall

NS66SW 176.05 60559 64985 Building and Wall

NS66SW 176.06 60545 64961 Gateway

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: John Carrick.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Strathclyde Regional Archives; Town Clerk's Department

D-TC 13/443 - SITE OF CATTLE MARKET

Proposed street though the Nursery to meet Graham Street from the Gallowgate. 40ft wide.

Plot on site of present Cattle Market, laid out for feuing.

Some buildings shown.

Areas given.

Surveyor: T Richardson. 100 ft to 51/2 ins. 24"X37".

Nov. 1813.

D-TC 13/468 A - CATTLE MARKET

Showing propery belonging to Glasgow Market Trustees, and the position of the Cattle Market vis a vis Duke Street, Bellgrove Street, Moore Street, Graham Square and Gallowgate.

Surveyor: Thomas Kyle. 200 ft to 61/2 " 46"X351/2".

D-TC 13/468 B

Block plan showing porperties in Bellgrove Street off Duke Street and their owners. Endorsed with description of a plot of ground about to be conveyed by the Trustees of the Glasgow Cattle Market. This property is shown as now being in the hands of the Glasgow Cattle Market Trustees and its dimensions.

D-TC 13/468 C

As above with variations.

Surveyor: Thoma Kyle. 20ft to 1 in. 21"X381/2".

Scottish Record Office - Plans, RNP 5576, 1802 - Elevation of West tenement.

Activities

Watching Brief (23 June 2016 - 24 June 2016)

NS 60716 64975 A watching brief was undertaken, 23–24 June 2016, during site investigations at Glasgow Meat Market. A total of 13 trial pits were excavated across the site and sub-surface remains comprising in situ ceramic pipe drains, concrete floor surfaces and a concrete post base were revealed. These features were probably associated with the

meat market.

Archive: NRHE (intended)

Funder: Glasgow City Council

Stephen Cox – Headland Archaeology Ltd

(Source: DES, Volume 17)

OASIS headland1-256187

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions