Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Bellahouston Park, Bellahouston House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, Bellahouston Park, Bellahouston House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dumbseck House

Canmore ID 160667

Site Number NS56SE 374

NGR NS 5501 6379

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/160667

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Paisley (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

BELLAHOUSTON

The Rowan family, old church rentallers, obtained a charter from James VI after the Reformation, granting perpetual rights in their land. James Rowan of Maryland, a descendant, purchased the Bellahouston estate in 1726. When his descendant Thomas died in 1824, the estate passed to Moses Steven (Buchanan Steven & Co.) of Polmadie, a relation by marriage. Two years later Steven bought Wearison from the trustees of Henry Ritchie of Craigton. Steven then bought the adjoining Dumbreck House from Robert Scott of the Thistle Bank and changed its name to Bellahouston. After he died in 1871, his sisters set up a Trust, which feued part of the estate for middle-class houses along the south side of Paisley Road West and sold the remainder of the estate in 1892 to Glasgow Corporation for Bellahouston Park. The 1938 Empire Exhibition was organised in this Park by the Government to help revive the Scottish economy. There were over 100 large temporary buildings and many smaller ones, all dominated by Tait's Tower. Only the permanent Palace of Art remains in situ, while Tait & Ross's Engineering Pavilion was taken to Prestwick, where it is part of the Scottish Aviation Industries works (see Ayrshire & Arran Guide). Much of the Park is now devoted to sports facilities, including a dry ski slope on the site of the drumlin where Tait's Tower once stood.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions