Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Clova, Kildrummy

Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Site Name Clova, Kildrummy

Classification Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Muirs Of Kildrummy

Canmore ID 160272

Site Number NJ41NE 1.02

NGR NJ 4610 1927

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/160272

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Kildrummy
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ41NE 1.02 4610 1927

This souterrain is situated under a small stand of trees 330m SW of Muirs of Kildrummy steading (NJ41NE 74) and appears to be covered by a low mound measuring no more than 0.6m in height. The interior is accessible by way of the original entrance at the NE end, where a wooden doorway of relatively recent date has been placed a short distance into the passage. The passage is orientated NE and SW, and is roughly S-shaped on plan, measuring about 10.5m in length and varying in breadth from 1.2m at the entrance to 2.5m close to the SW end. The walls of the passage, which are up to 1.6m in height, are constructed of dry-stone rubble set on a basal course of large boulders, and are corbelled to such an extent that along the SE side the top of the wall overhangs the base by as much as 0.6m. Several corbel-stones appear to have slipped out of position and fence-posts have been placed under them to prevent them collapsing into the chamber. The roof of the souterrain is constructed of large granite slabs and, except for a length of about 1.5m where the slabs have been removed at the entrance, is complete.

The entrance is framed by two short jamb-stones set 0.7m apart and measuring 0.8m in height, and at least three steps (which may be modern) can be seen descending within the narrow entrance passage, which measures 0.9m in breadth and has a surviving length of 0.9m.

Two of the basal stones of the main passage are cupmarked. One of them, which lies midway along the SE side, is heavily cupmarked, and measures 1.2m in length and at least 0.45m in height, and on its face there are at least 37 cups, the largest measuring up to about 40mm in diameter. The second stone has been incorporated into the basal course on the NW side some 2.4m from the NW door-jamb. The stone measures 0.42m in length by 0.33m in height, and there are at least four cupmarks on its face, the largest measuring up to 60mm in diameter.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 15 October 1997.

Scheduled [with NJ41NE 1.01] as Muirs of Kildrummy, souterrains 230m W of and 350m SSW of...

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 2 December 2003.

Activities

Field Visit (26 July 1943)

This site was recorded as part of the RCAHMS Emergency Survey, undertaken by Angus Graham and Vere Gordon Childe during World War 2. The project archive has been catalogued during 2013-2014 and the material, which includes notebooks, manuscripts, typescripts, plans and photographs, is now available online.

Information from RCAHMS (GF Geddes) 4 December 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions