Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Perth, Scott Street, St Leonard's United Free Church And Church Halls

Church (Period Unassigned), Church Hall(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Perth, Scott Street, St Leonard's United Free Church And Church Halls

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Church Hall(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St Leonard's In The Fields Church; Church Of Scotland; King James Place; James Street

Canmore ID 159437

Site Number NO12SW 541

NGR NO 11627 23166

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/159437

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Perth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Schomberg Scott Plans: Alterations to platform area including new pulpit sounding board.

"Building News" 30th May 1883

1 Newspaper cutting, missing at time of upgrade, 15.3.2000.

NMRS REFERENCE

Verbal information from minister 31.10.79. Rev. G. Stewart.

When first came, panelling in apse had been substituted by curtains and with advice from Schomberg Scott present arrangement worked out.

Church wanted a place for orchestra etc rather than formal communion table.

SS wanted to emphasise 'verticality' and so designed present pulpit sounding board. Flower stands also designed by SS. Gallery choir and finial with St Leonard's insignia by SS.

Seating altered earlier in century but front rows removed by SS. SS also had idea for lightening church by painting over stone surrounds of lancets on lower floor which has lightened the church.

Columns now woodgrained - originally green.

The first free St Leonards was built around the corner in Scott Street (now a Bingo Hall).

Architect: JJ Stevenson, London 1885

NMRS REFERENCE

A collection of designs and working drawings

by J J Stevenson 1884,

Deposited 1979 by St Leonard's in the Fields, Perth.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions