Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Culbin Sands, 'the Armoury'

Brooch(S) (Post Medieval), Clasp(S) (Post Medieval), Coin(S) (Post Medieval), Fish Hook(S) (Post Medieval), Needle(S) (Post Medieval), Pin(S) (Post Medieval), Rivet(S) (Post Medieval), Slag (Post Medieval), Unidentified Pottery (Post Medieval)

Site Name Culbin Sands, 'the Armoury'

Classification Brooch(S) (Post Medieval), Clasp(S) (Post Medieval), Coin(S) (Post Medieval), Fish Hook(S) (Post Medieval), Needle(S) (Post Medieval), Pin(S) (Post Medieval), Rivet(S) (Post Medieval), Slag (Post Medieval), Unidentified Pottery (Post Medieval)

Canmore ID 15930

Site Number NJ06SW 4

NGR NJ 017 646

NGR Description NJ c. 017 646

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15930

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Dyke And Moy
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ06SW 4 c. 017 646.

(Area: NJ 017 646) An industrial site which yielded objects of brass, such as pins, needles, clasps, brooches and rivets for brass-plate, and iron objects including fish hooks and slag, lies about half a mile west of the River Findhorn. Associated with these were found partly glazed red pottery and coins ranging from Mary Queen of Scots to George III. The majority of the objects found were in layers of shell up to 3ft thick, seperated by 18ins layers of sand, occupying a stratum 10ft thick, situated about 20 to 25 feet from the base of a large sandhill about 50 feet high. Above this shelly stratum was a foot of peaty earth in which the coins were found. This sand hill lies about 120 yards from HWM. Similar remains were found in the open space to the south, known locally as "The Armoury", over an area with a radius of 150 feet. A collection of objects from this site was presented to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) by Alan Matthewson in April 1880 (see also NJ06SW 5).

'The valley known as "The Armoury" has become the centre of a large sandhill'.

H Linton 1876; A Mathewson 1878; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1880; G F Black 1891

Mr Milne, retired head forester, says that a gravel-covered mound c 20.0m diameter and c 1.5m high at NJ 0020 6418 is the site of the Armoury, but this position does not agree with the recorded evidence. There is a similar mound at NH 9945 6252. Milne knows of no recent finds and no other local information could be obtained.

Visited by OS (AA) 29 April 1971.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions