Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith, Quayside Street, St Ninian's Church And Manse

Church (15th Century), Manse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, Quayside Street, St Ninian's Church And Manse

Classification Church (15th Century), Manse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Incorporated Into Mcgregor And Co Quayside Mills; North Leith Church And Manse

Canmore ID 159087

Site Number NT27NE 829

NGR NT 26837 76478

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/159087

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27NE 829 26837 76478

NT27NE 752 26822 76475 McGregor and Co Quayside Mills

NT27NE 82 26754 76497 North Leith Burial Ground

This building when surveyed in September 1998 was semi-derelict. Its most recent use being for storage. It contains the remains of a Sixteenth century church.

Activities

Publication Account (1981)

The church of North Leith was dedicated to the 'honor of God, the Virgin and St.Ninian' and was erected in 1493 under the auspices of Abbot Robert Bellenden, although North Leith did not become a parish in its own right until 1606. The church appears to have been extensively repaired after the Reformation (Hutcheson, 1865, 124) and replaced in 1815-16. A granary was erected on the site of the old church (Hutcheson, 1865, 126).

Information from ‘Historic Edinburgh, Canongate and Leith: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1981).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions