Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Perth, North Inch, Regimental Monument

Commemorative Monument (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Perth, North Inch, Regimental Monument

Classification Commemorative Monument (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 158922

Site Number NO12SW 509

NGR NO 1197 2396

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Perth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire


Field Visit (27 May 2017)

This monument, which stands in the SE corner of the North Inch, close to the W bank of the River Tay, was erected in 1895 to commemorate and honour the 90th Light Infantry (Perthshire Volunteers). The granite monument takes the form of an obelisk sitting on top of a two-tier base, the lower tier incorporating red granite drinking water basins on the NW and SE sides (the taps and other accutrements are no longer in place) and a plaque on the NE, and the upper tier plaques on all four sides, that on the SE set below a carved reprentation of the Perth Coat of Arms.

The lower plaque on the NW side reads' The last regular battalion of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) was disbanded on 14th May 1968 as part of National Defence Economies. This plaque was unvieled by the Lord Provost of Perth'. The upper plaque on the NW side reads 'In honour of the 90th Light Infantry (Perthshire Volunteers) raised May 1794 by Thomas Graham of Balgowan who was promoted for his services in Italy, Spain and Holland to the rank of General 1809, made a Knight of the Bath, 1812, and created Baron Lynedoch, 1814.'

The plaque on the upper tier on the NW side (above the water basin) bears two carved (in relief) emblems, the lower a bugle incorporating '90' and the upper a Sphinx sitting over the name 'Egypt'.

On the NE side there is no plaque in the lower tier but that in the upper reads 'The regiment served with distinction at Mandora 1801, Martinique 1803, Guadaloupe 1810, in America 1814-5, South Africa 1845-7 and 1878-9, Crimea 1854-6, Indian Mutiny 1857-8, and on the 1st July 1881 was formed into the 2nd Battalion The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

The plaque on the upper tier on the SE side (above the water basin) reads 'Erected A.D. 1895 by the County and City of Perth and Officers of the Regiment Past and Present.

Visited by HES, Survey and Recording (JRS) 27 May 2017.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions