Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Perth, Atholl Street, St Ninian's Episcopal Cathedral

Cathedral (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Perth, Atholl Street, St Ninian's Episcopal Cathedral

Classification Cathedral (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) North Methven Street

Canmore ID 157839

Site Number NO12SW 369

NGR NO 11471 23915

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/157839

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Perth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO12SW 369 11471 23915

NO 115 238 Archaeological investigations conducted in April and May 2002 in response to storm damage and subsidence at the W end of Perth Episcopal Cathedral recorded the presence of earlier structures on the site: namely the curtain wall of Perth Barracks (demolished between 1850-90), and the ropework which abutted the barracks to the SW. The ropework wall was the only construction to have been situated directly on where the W end of the cathedral now stands, just passing under the SW corner of the cathedral.

Subsidence of the foundations was also identified, in that the foundations had been forced down into the clay subsoil that occurs throughout the area of the cathedral.

A possible ditch was recorded, running E-W along the line of the cathedral's boundary with Atholl Street. Within the deposits were finds indicating a late medieval to early post-medieval date, suggesting that the boundary was of some permanence prior to the siting of the cathedral.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: St Ninian's Cathedral Vestry.

D Hind 2002.

Architecture Notes

Architect: William Butterfield 1850

F.L.Pearson 1900 (Chapter House and Vestries and remodelled aisle)

Sir Ninian Comper screen (unfinished)

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

SRO

Endowment by the Rt Hon the Lord Forbes of a stall.

1877 GD 52/218

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions