Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Edinburgh, Lothian Road Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Lothian Road Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Caledonian Railway Station

Canmore ID 157719

Site Number NT27SW 189.03

NGR NT 2470 7325

NGR Description Centred NT 2470 7325

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/157719

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SW 189.03 centred 2470 7325

Formerly site no. NT27SW 3081

The original Caledonian Railway station in Edinburgh was sited some 200m S of the later 1890 station. Opened on February 15 1848, it consisted of three road terminus with goods shed. The accommodation was on the S side. It was replaced in a position slightly to the N in 1870 by another terminus which in turn was replaced by the Dick Peddie structure of 1890 (NT27SW 189.00).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), February 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions