Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Portmahomack

Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Human Remains (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Portmahomack

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Human Remains (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 15666

Site Number NH98SW 6

NGR NH 9169 8458

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15666

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Tarbat
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH98SW 6 9169 8458

(NH 9169 8458) Chapel (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

On a green hill, known as Chapelhill or Knockshorty at Portmahomack, a chapel appears to have stood (OPS 1855). The site of a chapel at Chapel Street, Portmahomack, is marked on high ground by a rough flooring of flat stones in a roughly oblong setting, approx E and E (Davidson 1948).

Orig Paroch Scot 1855; J M Davidson 1948.

No trace.

Visited by OS (A A) 20 September 1972.

The discovery before 1845 of human bones 'deposited within rough flags of freestone' noted on NH98SW 3 may be linked with the chapel that is alleged to have stood on this site. The 'rough flooring of flat stones in a roughly oblong setting, approximately east and west', recorded by Davidson may be associated with the chapel or with later buildings, which were still standing on the site in 1907.

RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions