Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stromness, Mill Of Voy

Watermill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Stromness, Mill Of Voy

Classification Watermill (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 155700

Site Number HY21SE 71

NGR HY 25338 14933

NGR Description centred on demolished complex

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/155700

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Stromness
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY21SE 71.00 2534 1493

HY21SE 71.01 HY 2530 1492 Mill House

(Location cited as HY 253 149). Mill of Voy (corn and barley), 19th century. The roofless ruin of a complex block of rubble buildings, with the skeleton only of a 3ft 6ins (1.06m) wide by 10ft (3.05m) diameter low-breast iron wheel whch had iron buckets.

J R Hume 1977.

Activities

Publication Account (1977)

(Location cited as HY 253 149). Mill of Voy (corn and barley), 19th century. The roofless ruin of a complex block of rubble buildings, with the skeleton only of a 3ft 6ins (1.06m) wide by 10ft (3.05m) diameter low-breast iron wheel whch had iron buckets.

J R Hume 1977.

Field Visit (21 October 1981)

Mill of Voy has only one pair of millstones in a large building. The mill (oats and bere) was part of a group of buildings which included a blacksmith (post-1902), wheelwrights' and joiners' shops as well as a stable with a hay loft above (post-1902). One revolution of the mill wheel turned the millstones eight times.

There are the remains of a roof over the millstones. The stable is roofed and used as a fuel store for the cottage (HY21SE 71.01). The mill was in operation until the mid-1930s.

The low-breast shot waterwheel measures 3.05m in overall diameter by 1.06m in width. The sides are of cast-iron with wooden buckets. It operated with a drive bevel gear which had 102 wooden teeth. Only the side plates of the waterwheel survives.

RCAHMS MS/500/35/13

Field Visit (28 July 2010)

The Mill of Voy as described by John Hume and in RCAHMS MS/500/35/13 has been demolished. All that remains on site is the rubble-built, roofless stable or byre built after 1902 at HY25355 14932. The remains of the waterwheel described by John Hume now lies adjacebnt to the sites of the original mill buildings some distance away to the W. The lade has been partially filled in at its W end where a modern field drain has been dug.

Visited by RCAHMS (MMD/IA) 28 July 2010

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions