Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Logie Bridge

Road Bridge (19th Century)

Site Name Logie Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ferness Bridge; River Nairn

Canmore ID 15487

Site Number NH94NE 6

NGR NH 95961 46227

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Ardclach
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Nairn
  • Former County Nairn

Archaeology Notes

NH94NE 6 95961 46227

Logie Bridge [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map.


Scottish Records Office

Plans: RHP 8831

1811. Plans showing position of bridge.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NH 960 463). Ferness Bridge, built 1814-17, engineer Thomas Telford. A three-arch rubble bridge with segmental arches of unequal size and triangular cutwaters.

J R Hume 1977.

This bridge carries the A939 public road over the River Nairn.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 6 November 1997.


Construction (1816)


Similar to contemporaries at Alford (NJ51NE 64) and Potarch (NO69NW 14) in Aberdeenshire.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Photographic Survey (September 1963)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Works in September 1963.

Publication Account (2007)

Ferness Bridge

Historic Engineering Works no. HEW 0320

This bridge, built under the direction of the Highland Roads & Bridges Commission and now carrying the A939 road over the Findhorn, was designed by Telford and completed in 1816. The contractor was George Burn. It has three segmental arch granite masonry spans of 36 ft, 55 ft

and 36 ft and is similar in construction to its contemporaries at Alford and Potarch in Aberdeenshire.

During the great flood of 1829, when the water level rose 27 ft above normal, the bridge was severely tested. A fine ash tree with a triple stem, the largest being 1212 ft in circumference, was brought down and after rising 40 ft or 50 ft above the water sunk into the vortex at the main arch

stem first where ‘for three or four minutes it stuck groaning and bellowing as if from torture and then appeared darting below the lower side of the bridge shorn of its mighty honours’. The only damage to the bridge was ‘the loss of a part of its southern wing walls and roadway estimated

at about £100’.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions