Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Duthil, Old Parish Church And Churchyard

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Duthil, Old Parish Church And Churchyard

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 15458

Site Number NH92SW 6

NGR NH 93531 24301

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15458

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Duthil And Rothiemurchus
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH92SW 6.00 93531 24301.

NH92SW 6.01 NH 935 243 Mausoleum (Seafield Mausoleum)

(NH 9352 2430) Church (NAT) On Site of St. Peter's Chapel (NR)

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

The church at Duthil was one of the few old Popish chapels which survived the Reformation (Anderson and Anderson 1834). It was, however, pulled down in about 1840 and the present building erected on its side. Nothing is known of its date (ONB 1871).

G Anderson and P Anderson 1834; Name Book 1871.

In c 1400 AD a church was built at Duthil (OSA 1793). It was dedicated to St. Peter. The present parish church was built in c 1826. The Grants of Castle Grant have had their burial place here since c 1585.

Anon c.1920.

Mainly as described, the present church has been disused since c 1961.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions