Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lynchurn

Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Lynchurn

Classification Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Canmore ID 15429

Site Number NH92SE 1

NGR NH 953 206

NGR Description NH 953 206, moved to NH 9384 1551

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15429

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Duthil And Rothiemurchus
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Inverness-shire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Lynchurn, Moray, Pictish symbol stone fragment

Measurements: H c 1.80m, W 0.46m, D 0.25m

Stone type: ‘slaty’

Place of discovery: NJ 953 206

Present location: in churchyard at Kincardine (unidentified).

Evidence for discovery: found in the early 1870s in a field, lying flat. It was damaged by trimming for use as a lintel before carving was noticed, and only one symbol remained. It was set up at the place where it was found, but in the 1880s it was taken to Kincardine and re-used as a new gravemarker by chipping off the early carving.

Present condition: defaced.

Description

This fragment bore most of an incised crescent and V-rod symbol.

Date: seventh century

References: Mitchell 1874, 688-9; ECMS pt 3, 105; Fraser 2008, no 95.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2018.

Activities

Field Visit (16 September 1966)

The find-spot of the symbol stone could not be ascertained. The stone now stands in Kincardine churchyard at NH 9384 1551, but bears no resemblance to its original form. It is trimmed square, set on a low plinth, and carries a shield commemorating H C Stuart, Vicar of Wragby, who died in 1884.

Present position of stone surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (NKB) 16 September 1966.

Reference (1997)

Class I symbol stone (lost) showed a crescent and V-rod.

A.Mack 1997 p.140

Desk Based Assessment

NH92SE 1 953 206 Moved to 9384 1551.

(Area NH 953 206) A symbol stone was found c. 1870 in a field on the farm of Lynchurn near the Spey and not far from the Boat of Garten. It was prostrate when found and was being broken up when the sculpturing was noticed. The remains were 5'10" long and up to 18" wide. The symbol is the well-known combination of sceptre and crescent. It was at first erected near the spot where it was found, but was subsequently removed, the pattern chipped off and used as a gravestone in Kincardine churchyard close to the E bank of the Spey 2 1/2miles S of Boat of Garten.

Information from OS.

A Mitchell and J Drummond 1875; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions