Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Finlanrig

Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Finlanrig

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Finlarig; Muckrach; Chapel Park; Findlarig

Canmore ID 15420

Site Number NH92NE 3

NGR NH 99113 25386

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15420

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cromdale, Inverallan And Advie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Morayshire

Activities

Field Visit (16 September 1966)

The ruined chapel, reduced to turf-covered footings about 0.3m high, is rectangular on plan, measuring c. 10.5m E-W by 5.5m, and is situated within a small near-circular enclosure as described above, presumably the grave-yard. The exact find-spot of the symbol stone could not be ascertained.

Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.

Visited by OS (R L) 16 September 1966.

Field Visit (21 September 1970)

NH 9911 2538. Site is an uncultivated plot within a field known as Chapel Park. It cannot be ascertained whether the chapel had rounded corners as alleged by MacDonald (MacDonald and Laing 1969). The dedication is not known. The "enclosure", largely mutilated by ploughing, has much stone clearance over it. One upright stone is visible within the enclosure, probably a grave slab. The possible entrance noted on the S side of the enclosure (MacDonald and Laing 1969) may be recent mutilation.

Remains of chapel and enclosure.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 21 September 1970; A MacDonald and L Laing 1969.

Field Visit (12 October 2006)

This chapel is situated on the summit of a low knoll in improved ground about 300m WSW of Finlarig farmsteading (NH92NE 28). Rectangular on plan, it measures 10m from E to W by 7m transversely over walls up to 1m in thickness and 0.4m in height. The internal angles at the corners are square but the external ones may be rounded, and there is a possible entrance in the S side. The chapel lies at the centre of a roughly D-shaped enclosure measuring 38m from E to W by 32m transversely over walls reduced to a spread of rubble up to 3m in thickness. Ploughing has damaged the walls of both the chapel and the enclosure, and stone clearance heaps lie within the interior of the latter. The symbol stone from this site is in the Royal Museum of Scotland (accession number IB 11)

Visited by RCAHMS (TIP, AGCH) 12 October 2006.

Desk Based Assessment

NH92NE 3 99113 25386.

A ruined chapel exists at Finlarig, near the old Castle of Muckrach. It is in a circular enclosure, formed by a ditch and a wall, about 85' in diameter. A fragment of a Pictish symbol stone was turned up towards the W side of this enclosure, where an ancient font was also found. The symbol stone, now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) (Accession no: IB 11) is a rectangular slab of mica schist, 3'6" x 1'5" x 2'6", incised with symbols on one face

Information from OS.

J Stuart 1867; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.

Note

For Pictish Symbol Stone, see NH92NE 3.01.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions