Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Littleferry Links

Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Littleferry Links

Classification Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Alternative Name(s) Inverness Museum

Canmore ID 15344

Site Number NH89NW 2.05

NGR NH 814 966

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15344

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Golspie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Early Medieval Carved Stones Project

Little Ferry Links 4, Sutherland, Pictish symbol stone fragments

Measurements: H 0.50m, W 0.38m, D 0.09m

Stone type: red sandstone

Place of discovery: NH 814966

Present location: 4 Dunrobin Museum (ARC 545), Dunrobin Castle; 4a Inverness Museum & Art Gallery (where it is displayed alongside a cast of no 4; 00.211).

Evidence for discovery: no 4 was a surface find made in 1880 and no 4a came from the same area. It came to the museum sometime between 1909 and 1917 but no details are known of its discovery.

Present condition: broken but carving is clear.

Description

Together these two fragments represent the top left portion of a symbol stone incised with at least two symbols. A crescent and V-rod with internal decoration is carved above two concentric arcs, which may be part of a mirror or triple disc.

Date: seventh century.

References: ECMS pt3, 45, 47-8; Harden 1986; Fraser 2008, no 146.4.

Compiled by A Ritchie 2016

Archaeology Notes

NH89NW 2.5 814 966

See also NH89NW 2.04.

No. 5. A fifth fragment of a Pictish symbol stone which joins onto no. 4, has recently been recognised in Inverness Museum. It bears part of a crescent and V-rod, below which is a double arc of a second symbol, possibly a mirror or double disc.

Information provided by G Harden, Inverness Museum, (Accession no. IM 00.211).

RCAHMS 1985.

This fragment was found on Littleferry Links, Golspie and fits onto no. 4 that is in Dunrobin Museum (NH89NW 2.04).

Information from R Jones, 1980.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions