Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Warriston Road, Railway Bridge

Railway Bridge (19-20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Warriston Road, Railway Bridge

Classification Railway Bridge (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Leith And Newhaven Railway; Water Of Leith, Warriston Junction

Canmore ID 153340

Site Number NT27NE 653

NGR NT 25265 75376

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/153340

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Built by engineers Grainger and Miller (1841-3) for the Leith & Granton Railway, the bridge comprises three ashlar segmental skew arches which carried the railway over the Water of Leith and Warriston Road. The railway was closed in the 1960s.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 2001.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions