Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Millmannoch

Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Watermill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Millmannoch

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Watermill (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 153247

Site Number NS41NW 23

NGR NS 43218 18408

NGR Description Centred on NS 43218 18408

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/153247

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Coylton (South Ayrshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS41NW 23 432 184

(Location cited as NS 432 187). Millmannoch, rebuilt early 20th century. A two- and three-storey stone building omn an L plan, extended in brick. The stone portion is dated 1788. The machinery, consisting of three pairs of stones and an oat bruiser, was originally driven by an overshot wheel, now removed, and more recently by a strubine, still in position, and now, occasionally, by a tractor.

J R Hume 1976.

A farmstead comprising one unroofed building, five roofed buildings, of which one is L-shaped, one is T-shaped, one is a long building and a fourth has two wings, and one enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ayrshire 1860, sheet xxxiv). Four roofed buildings and one enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1988).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 20 March 2000

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions