Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Nigg, Church Of Scotland Parish Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Nigg, Church Of Scotland Parish Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Nigg Parish Church; Nigg, Old Parish Church; Nigg Old Church; War Memorial Roll Of Honour

Canmore ID 15299

Site Number NH87SW 5

NGR NH 80441 71708

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15299

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Nigg (Ross And Cromarty)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH87SW 5 80441 71708

See also NH87SW 1 and NH87SW 10.

This parish church, dedicated to St Fiacre, was built 1626, renovated 1725, enlarged 1786; Andrew Maitland, alterations, 1864. It is a simple, long T-plan church with the main portion E-W and T-wing to N. The earliest reference to a church on this site occurs in 1255-6.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1794; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; Orig Paroch Scot 1855; N Macrae 1923; G Hay 1957; I B Cowan 1967; RCAHMS 1979.

This church is still in use. The bell is dated 1624 as is the oldest dated gravestone in the graveyard, which is also still in use. The dedication is not in use, the church being known as Nigg Parish Church.

Visited by OS (ISS) 25 August 1972.

NH 804 717 A watching brief was carried out between September and December 2005 on renovations at Nigg Old Church (NH87SW 5), and a photographic record was made. The only ground disturbance was minor excavations for drainage along two walls, which proved to be completely contained within areas of previous disturbance.

Archive to be deposited in NMRS.

Sponsor: Dunnottar Estate.

J Wood 2005

NH 8045 7171 An archaeological watching brief and rapid photographic survey were carried out in October 2006 during repairs and renovations to Nigg Old Church in the autumn and winter of 2005. Drainage works within the churchyard revealed no archaeological features or finds of significance, since they took place within areas of previous disturbance. Some details of the fabric of the church became visible with the removal of small areas of harling, and these were photographed.

Report to be lodged with Highland SMR and Library Service and NMRS; archive will be deposited with RCAHMS.

Sponsor: Nigg Old Trust.

John Wood, 2006.

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE: SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Heritors Records (HR 361/4 Nigg) Report on the Ecclesiastical Buildings of Nigg 1878. New floor inserted 12" higher than previous floor. North gallery to be removed. East and West galleries to be partitioned off to make a more comfortable church. A Maitland & Sons, Architects, Tain. Later reports cover minor repairs.

Activities

Photographic Survey (October 2006)

NH 8045 7171 An archaeological watching brief and rapid photographic survey were carried out in October 2006 during repairs and renovations to Nigg Old Church in the autumn and winter of 2005. Drainage works within the churchyard revealed no archaeological features or finds of significance, since they took place within areas of previous disturbance. Some details of the fabric of the church became visible with the removal of small areas of harling, and these were photographed.

Report to be lodged with Highland SMR and Library Service and NMRS; archive will be deposited with RCAHMS.

Sponsor: Nigg Old Trust.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions