Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Edinburgh, 146-156 Morrison Street

Car Park (Modern), Cobbled Road (19th Century), Wall(S) (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 146-156 Morrison Street

Classification Car Park (Modern), Cobbled Road (19th Century), Wall(S) (19th Century)

Canmore ID 152550

Site Number NT27SW 2875

NGR NT 2463 7320

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/152550

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Building now demolished.

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation (21 July 2010 - 23 July 2010)

NT 246 732 An evaluation was carried out 21–23 July 2010 at a proposed development site associated with the Edinburgh International Conference Centre (EICC). A total of four trenches were excavated revealing a series of foundation walls, relating to tenements and evidence of the cobbled road surface of Newport Street. The features were of 19th-century date and are depicted on the 1st (1852) and 2nd (1894) edition OS town plans.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd

Nuala Marshall – Headland Archaeology Ltd

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions