Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Granton Harbour, Western Breakwater, Lighthouse

Beacon (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Granton Harbour, Western Breakwater, Lighthouse

Classification Beacon (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 'Granton 2'

Canmore ID 151856

Site Number NT27NW 28.05

NGR NT 2381 7788

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/151856

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NW 28.05 2381 7788

See also: NT27NW 28.02 and NT27NW 28.04 .

For comparable beacon ('Burntisland 3') at Burntisland, see NT28NW 30.14.

Architect: William Burn

Lighthouses were placed on each breakwater and the middle pier. Unknown at time of upgrade, 30.11.1999, which lighthouse was designed by Burn.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

RIBA Drawings Collection: 4 designs and elevations by Wm Burn.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Granton 2: location cited as NT 238 779). At end of W breakwater: prob. 1890's. Small metal tower with cylindrical base sharply tapering into circular lantern with domed top. Similar to Burntisland 3 (NT28NW 30.14): gone by 1997.

J R Hume 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions