Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Granton Harbour, Eastern Breakwater, Lighthouse

Beacon (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Granton Harbour, Eastern Breakwater, Lighthouse

Classification Beacon (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 'Granton 3'

Canmore ID 151855

Site Number NT27NW 28.04

NGR NT 2394 7787

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/151855

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NW 28.04 2394 7787

See also NT27NW 28.03 and NT27NW 28.05 .

Lighthouse (Fixed Red) [NAT] (at NT 2383 7765)

OS 1:1250 map, 1967.

Architect: William Burn

Lighthouses were placed on each breakwater and on the middle pier. Unknown at time of upgrade, 30.11.1999, which was designed by Burn.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

RIBA Drawings Collection: 4 designs and elevations by Wm Burn.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Granton 3: location cited as NT 239 779). At end of E breakwater: prob. 1930's. Concrete cube with slot on three sides.

J R Hume 1997.

This light is situated on a detached structure just off the end of the breakwater NT27NW 28.03.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 4 May 2001.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions