Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 7, 9, 11 South St David Street

Office (20th Century), Public House (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 7, 9, 11 South St David Street

Classification Office (20th Century), Public House (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ivanhoe Hotel

Canmore ID 151596

Site Number NT27SE 4067

NGR NT 25579 73976

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/151596

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Edinburgh, South St. David Street, Ivanhoe Hotel which was Category B Listed was demolished in 1965. Information from Demolitions catalogue held in RCAHMS Library.

Activities

Publication Account (1951)

134. St. David Street.

This is one of the earliest parts of the New Town, and few of the original buildings remain. Among the survivals may be noted the tenement at the S. end, Numbers 5-11, at present occupied as an hotel with shops in the lower part [demolished c.1965].* With its rubble masonry and central gablet bearing a chimney, this building is one of a type formerly very common in the southern suburbs, and its presence here shows that the terrace-house did not become standard until after 1773-4, the date at which it was built. Number 21 situated at the S.W. corner of St. Andrew Square, has been considerably altered on the lower floors; but the upper part, first occupied by David Hume, the philosopher, who died there in 1776, is still intact above the modern extensions. At the N. end of the street there are two self-contained terrace houses Numbers 6 and 8, while Number 12 at the corner of the street contains flats above a maindoor house facing Queen Street. This tenement was built by John Brough in 1780. Numbers 3, 5, 7 and 9 on the opposite side are main door houses and flats. All these buildings, which stand N. of St. Andrew Square, have fronts of droved ashlar and correspond generally with those in Queen Street and George Street.

RCAHMS 1951, visited c.1941

*In the original arrangement also there may have been one or more shops on the street floor and flats on the upper storeys, each flat containing about six rooms.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions