Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Hall Of Clestran

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Hall Of Clestran

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 1514

Site Number HY20NE 4

NGR HY 2935 0739

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/1514

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Orphir
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY20NE 4 2936 0729 to 2935 0739.

(HY 2935 0739) Standing Stone {NR}

O.S.6"map, Orkney, 2nd ed.,(1903).

This stone, evidently from the beach, stands (August 1928) 7 ft 9 ins above ground and is 20 ins wide at the base, tapering to about 12 ins at the top, with an average thickness of about 9 ins.

There is some evidence of a packing of small stones at the base but the monolith now inclines decidedly to the east.

RCAHMS 1946.

A stone, as described above, now lying against a field wall at HY 2936 0729, removed from its original position some years ago, which was, according to Mrs Craigie(Owner), Hall of Clestrain, Orphir, nr Stromness, Orkney was positioned at HY 2935 0739.

Present position surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS(RL) 13 May 1966.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions