Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Wolfclyde, Railway Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19th Century)

Site Name Wolfclyde, Railway Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19th Century)

Canmore ID 151379

Site Number NT03NW 111

NGR NT 01793 36290

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/151379

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Culter
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT03NW 111 0179 3628.

This viaduct also lies in Symington parish.

Information from RCAHMS (RC), 19 November 1999.

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (4 September 2017)

Wolfclyde railway viaduct was built after the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway was authorised by Act of Parliament in 1858, opening in 1860. The viaduct, which is located 130m downstream from the Wolfclyde Bridge (NT03NW 112), ran for 110m over a 38m span of the River Clyde. It was acquired by the Caledonian Railway in 1861, with the line extended to reach Peebles in 1864. The line closed to passengers in 1950, and completely by 1966. Today only the piers of the viaduct remain, four of single track width standing on land to the west of the River Clyde, and three of double track width in the river itself, perhaps reflecting the unrealised ambition to expand the line from one to two tracks.

Information from HES Survey and Recording (AMcC) 4 September 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions