Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Edinburgh, Macdowall Street, Fishmarket

Fish Market (19-20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Macdowall Street, Fishmarket

Classification Fish Market (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cranston Street; Gilmore Street; Logan's Close

Canmore ID 150672

Site Number NT27SE 3984

NGR NT 26162 73858

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/150672

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

MacDowall Street and Gilmore Street in the Canongate were both suppressed in the course of extension of the Waverley Station:

MacDowall Street by 1897.

Gilmore Street by 1894.

MacDowall Street was known as Cranston Street in the Edinburgh Post Office Directory 1889-90.

Logan's Close was also known as 287 Canongate or East Common Close.

Exact location uncertain at time of upgrade 14.12.1999.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions