Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

North Uist, 9 Locheport, Sidinish

Croft (Period Unassigned), Thatched Cottage (Period Unassigned)

Site Name North Uist, 9 Locheport, Sidinish

Classification Croft (Period Unassigned), Thatched Cottage (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 150546

Site Number NF86SE 17

NGR NF 87762 63155

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/150546

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish North Uist
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Locheport A later 19th-century clearance settlement (many came here from Sollas), with thatched houses of interest because of their relatively late date and recent occupation (albeit now in varying stages of collapse).

9 Locheport, rebuilt c.1910 An unusual four-bay cottage (situated just above the road at Sidinish), incorporating a small unheated room behind the entrance passage, a central kitchen (lit on both sides) with chimney gable, and two flanking bedrooms. Being on the eastern side of the island, where moorland replaces marram-strewn dunes and machair, its roof (now collapsed) was mostly of more durable heather thatch. Still visible are the box beds, timber framed partition infilled with clay and pebbles, heather rope and mud daub, roof timbers with pegged joints, and other details of considerable interest.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NF86SE 17 87760 63149.

Field recording and detailed laboratory analysis of this roof were undertaken as part of an ongoing archaeological analysis of Scottish thatched roofs. The building was last occupied and rethatched in the 1970s but the roof has now largely collapsed. Large rectangular turves made up the basal layer upon which were laid a mixture of marram grass and barley straw. Subsequent rethatching was done with layers of heather, separated by thin layers of bracken and held in position by heather ropes.

Sponsor: Historic Scotland

T G Holden 1996

Information to follow. Undergoing survey as part of Scottish Farm Buildings Survey.

Information from RCAHMS (GPS) October 1998.

This farmstead comprises a sub-rectangular, two-cell, three-bay and hipped-roofed house (possibly once a byre dwelling), and a post-1900 gabled byre and a hipped-roofed henhouse, both to the NW. All the buildings are of drystone rubble, partly harled and pointed. Parts of the heather thatch and roping remain on the house and henhouse roofs. The byre is roofless. The end and central chimney stacks are later insertions in the dwelling, which has clay daub on its interior walls. Details in this building include a wooden door-latch and lock, and sash and fixed windows.

Visited 1998.

Information from RCAHMS (SS), 10 February 2006.

Site Management (21 October 1996)

Rebuilt circa 1910, probably incorporating earlier structure. Single storey 4-bay Hebridean-type thatched cottage; north-facing and built on eminence near road. Thick, battered, rubble-built and lime-washed walls with curved angles. Door off-centre right; 2 windows on rear wall; end stacks added - 1 central flue, heather thatch roof secured with netting and stone weights; wallhead mainly covered by thatch. Interior: box beds; partition wall to east built of timber framework with clay/pebble infill to eaves level, vertical sticks above with interwoven heather rope and mud daub; roof timbers with pegged joints; front door with wooden hinges and lock. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions