Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunoon, Kirk Street, Castle House

House (19th Century)

Site Name Dunoon, Kirk Street, Castle House

Classification House (19th Century)

Canmore ID 150543

Site Number NS17NE 44

NGR NS 17476 76436

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/150543

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Dunoon And Kilmun
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Architecture Notes

NS17NE 44.00 17476 76436

NS17NE 44.01 17553 76410 Lodge

NS17NE 44.02 17470 76357 Castle Gardens Boundary Wall

ARCHITECT: David Hamilton, 1824.

Activities

Field Visit (July 1987)

Castle House stands in landscaped grounds, now a public park, 50m NNW of Dunoon Castle (No. 127) and overlooking the Firth of Clyde. It was built in 1822 on land feued from the Milton estate by James Ewing, MP, Lord Provost of Glasgow, as a 'handsome marine villa', and the design was attributed by a contemporary writer to the Glasgow architect, David Hamilton (en.1). 'The taste displayed in the erection of his villa, and in the laying out of the grounds around it, pointed out to others the advantages of the locality, of which several individuals of respectability soon availed themselves’ (en.2). The house and grounds were purchased by the former Dunoon Burgh Council in 1893 (en.3).

LODGE [NS17NE 44.1]. The single-storeyed castellated Gothic lodge situated at the E boundary of the Castle Gardens 70m ESE of Castle House probably dates from the second quarter of the 19th century. It is built of painted sandstone ashlar, with part-hipped slated roof, and measures 8.8m from E to W by 6.8m. The main E facade is asymmetrical, with an entrance doorway and triangular crenellated bay-window. To the N of the lodge are matching gate-piers and curved screen-walls.

PAVILION [NS17NE 117]. The Cosy Corner Cafe in Tom-a-Mhoid Road, situated about 40m [sic] SW of Castle House, incorporates a small Georgian Gothic pavilion of square plan, probably built at the same period as the lodge but much altered and added to.

RCAHMS 1992, visited July 1987

[A full architectural description of the house is provided in RCAHMS 1992 No. 157]

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions