Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Little Urchany

Burial Ground (Medieval) - (Post Medieval), Chapel (Medieval) - (Post Medieval)

Site Name Little Urchany

Classification Burial Ground (Medieval) - (Post Medieval), Chapel (Medieval) - (Post Medieval)

Canmore ID 15015

Site Number NH84NE 4

NGR NH 8643 4878

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15015

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cawdor
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Nairn
  • Former County Nairn

Archaeology Notes

NH84NE 4 8643 4878.

(NH 8643 4878) Chapel (NR) (Site of)

OS 6"map, Nairnshire, 2nd ed., (1906)

The foundations of the chapel and the remains of the grave yard still existed in 1882, and a finely-cut and well-carved font, presumably from the chapel, was preserved at Little Urchany - having been used many years before for grinding corn.

W Jolly 1882; G Bain 1893.

The foundations of the chapel are no longer visible. The extent of the graveyard, which is bounded on three sides by an earth-and-stone bank, 1.0m high, has been reduced by ploughing and infilling along the SE side, and the central area has been used for field clearance. No grave-stones are visible and no further information could be found locally.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R D) 16 November 1965.

Activities

Field Visit (May 1978)

Little Urchany NH 864 487 NH84NE 4

The traditional location of this chapel is now occupied by a large clearance-heap surrounded by a bank of earth and stones, the SE side of which has been disturbed.

RCAHM S 1978, visited May 1978

Jolly 1882, 329; Bain 1893, 129-30

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions