Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Edinburgh, Leith, 29, 31, 33, 35 Constitution Street, Corn Exchange

Corn Exchange (19th Century), Public House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, 29, 31, 33, 35 Constitution Street, Corn Exchange

Classification Corn Exchange (19th Century), Public House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 9 Baltic Street, Public House

Canmore ID 150034

Site Number NT27NE 510

NGR NT 27329 76471

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/150034

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

ARCHITECT: Peddie & Kinnear 1860

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (20 May 2001)

Frieze of putti located high on building and running its complete length, approx 25 yards.

The carvings record the process of bringing grain to Leith: sowing, harvesting, transport etc.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 1860-1863

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0418)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions