Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Edinburgh, 124 Whitehouse Road, Whitehouse

Buried Land Surface (Period Unassigned), Culvert (Period Unassigned), Tower House (17th Century), Wall (Period Unassigned), Pipe (Smoking) (Clay)

Site Name Edinburgh, 124 Whitehouse Road, Whitehouse

Classification Buried Land Surface (Period Unassigned), Culvert (Period Unassigned), Tower House (17th Century), Wall (Period Unassigned), Pipe (Smoking) (Clay)

Alternative Name(s) Cramond; Braepark Road

Canmore ID 149929

Site Number NT17NE 190

NGR NT 18432 75615

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/149929

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT17NE 190.00 18432 75615

NT17NE 190.01 c. 18422 75600 Sundial

Architecture Notes

NT17NE 190 18432 75615

NMRS REFERENCE

Plans: Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh alterations

Bin 5, Bag 1 Dick Peddie, MacKay & Jamieson 1948

Dick Peddie & Mackay, Edinburgh additions & alterations

Bin 5, Bag 1 MacGibbon & Ross

65 Frederick Street 1899

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh additions & alterations

Bin 5, Bag 1 MacGibbon & Ross

65 Frederick Street 1895-7

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation (29 June 2010 - 22 February 2011)

NT 18433 75615 An evaluation was undertaken on 29 June 2010 prior to the construction of a house and kennels in the garden of the Whitehouse. The Whitehouse is a Grade B listed building, the core of which dates to the early 17th century with later 18th-century additions. Trial trenching exposed the remains of a cobbled surface cut through by a sandstone-lined culvert. A fragment of clay pipe was recovered from the cobbled surface. The remains of a possible retaining wall were also recorded. The culverts and wall cut into a clay deposit, which had probably been dumped on the site during landscaping of the garden in the 18th/19th century. This horizon was overlain by a second mixed clay deposit, which suggests that at least two phases of landscaping activity have occurred.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Patience and Highmore

Headland Archaeology 2011 (L. Scott) OASIS ID: headland1-79898

Laura Scott – Headland Archaeology Ltd

Watching Brief (22 February 2011)

NT 1842 7560 An inspection of trenches excavated by contractors within a garden adjacent to 124 Whitehouse Road was undertaken on the 22 February 2011. No significant archaeological finds or features were observed.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Dr and Mrs Murray

Headland Archaeology Ltd 2011

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions