Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inveraray Castle, Gate Piers

Gate Pier(S) (18th Century)

Site Name Inveraray Castle, Gate Piers

Classification Gate Pier(S) (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Inveraray Castle Policies

Canmore ID 149868

Site Number NN00NE 15.04

NGR NN 09663 09223

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/149868

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Inveraray
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

Activities

Field Visit (May 1986)

The two handsome gate piers that stand E of Inveraray Castle, flanking the entrance from the NE forecourt to the private gardens, were brought from Rosneath Castle, Dunbartonshire, about 1950. They are of fine-grained white sandstone ashlar and measure 4.85m in overall height. Each comprises a pillar 0.57m square with moulded base, set on a plinth 1m high and carrying a boldly projecting cornice which supports a tall urn. They are of mid- or late 18thcenturydate.

RCAHMS 1992, visited May 1986

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions