Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Portobello, 14 Bath Street, The County Cinema

Cinema (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Portobello, 14 Bath Street, The County Cinema

Classification Cinema (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) The George

Canmore ID 149617

Site Number NT37SW 367

NGR NT 30579 73975

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/149617

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Opened in 1939 on the site of a former variety hall. Designed by T Bowhill Gibson, architects, the last large cinema built in the city. Reconstructed in 1954 and renamed The George (see also NT37SW 978). Closed as a cinema in 1974 and converted into a bingo hall.

B Thomas 1984

Site Management (15 November 2016)

Art Deco, 3-storey, rectangular-plan former cinema, now bingo hall. Harled painted side elevations, rendered and lined to principal elevation. Coping at wallhead; vertical strips to parapet.

A prominent building within the locality, by an important Scottish Architect of the Inter-War period, who was Edinburgh s leading cinema designer. On the plans the centre bays, flanking the tower are seen to be taller than outer bays but not as tall as the tower. "The original facing block (currently brilliant white) was in two shades of light blue, and the 33 high advertising tower was entirely glazed, and illuminated at night from inside by means of cyclo troughing, giving constantly changing pastel hues. The top of the building was outlined by a thin line of neon tubing, and the remainder of the facade was floodlit by lights hidden behind the canopy." C McKean, (1987), p 67-68. The cinema opened in 1939; it was refurbished and renamed the George in 1954; it has been closed as a cinema since 1974 and has run as a bingo hall since then. The original facade has been reduced in height and the central tower removed, (CTA, 2008). References and notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)

Activities

Photographic Survey

Photographic Survey

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions