Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Edinburgh, 50-56 Bernard Street

Shop (19th Century), Tenement (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 50-56 Bernard Street

Classification Shop (19th Century), Tenement (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 50, 52, 54, 56

Canmore ID 149226

Site Number NT27NE 432

NGR NT 27138 76537

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/149226

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (28 May 2001)

Virgin and child enthroned on a ship between two masts with semi-furled sails. Ribbon with inscription is separate below.

[Originally possibly part of same building as 1864 griffons next door.]

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : Along ribbon below coat of arms:

PERSEVERE

Signatures : None

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0454)

Field Visit (28 May 2001)

Pair of seated griffons with wings form label-stops of stepped date stone. Both face front. Below the date stone (and above and between the griffons) are entwined initials.

[Possibly originally same building as No. 54 with Leith coat of arms above doors.]

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : Above griffons are entwined initials: DRM [?]

and date: 1864

Signatures : None Visible

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0455)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions