Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edderton Mains

Castle (Medieval)(Possible), Fort (Period Unassigned)(Possible), House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edderton Mains

Classification Castle (Medieval)(Possible), Fort (Period Unassigned)(Possible), House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Edderton House

Canmore ID 14746

Site Number NH78SW 6

NGR NH 7168 8380

NGR Description NH 7168 8380 and NH 7156 8417

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14746

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Edderton
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH78SW 6 7168 8380 and 7156 8417.

(NH 7156 8417) Edderton (NAT)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

Part of Edderton House is very old and is supposed to be built on the site of an ancient fort.

D Macrae 1911.

The owner of Edderton does not know the age of the building but supposes it to be about 200 years old. It is an unpretentious two-storey house. Edderton Mains (NH 7168 8380), under the same ownership, was largely demolished about twelve years ago. It is now mostly an amorphous heap of rubble but where the remaining walls are exposed they are seen to contain many very large stones of irregular shape and are up to 1.0 m thick. It would seem that the SE block was the oldest part of this building and at the west end of this block is the largest standing fragment of wall 1.0m thick, 4.0m above ground level and 1.5m above the surrounding rubble. The owner of the two properties could not confirm the name 'Edderton House' but amongst the older people of the parish the 'Mains' is known as Edderton House.

There is no trace of a fort at either house.

Visited by OS (R D L) 15 May 1963.

This house, which was probably of 18th century date, was demolished in about 1951. It may have stood on the site of a castle founded by William the Lion in 1179. (see NH78SW 8).

RCAHMS 1979.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions