Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glebe At Edderton

Barrow (Prehistoric), Cist(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glebe At Edderton

Classification Barrow (Prehistoric), Cist(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Eddertoun

Canmore ID 14739

Site Number NH78SW 2

NGR NH 7133 8450

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14739

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Edderton
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH78SW 2 7133 8450.

Tumulus (NR) (Site of) Six Stone Cists found AD 1866

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

(NH 7132 8451) Chambered Cairn (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, (1959)

Tumulus (NR) (Site of) Six Stone Cists found AD 1866, one had been previously opened; a second contained fragments of an Urn and Burnt Bones; third Flint Arrowheads Charcoal and Blackened Grain; a fourth Burnt Bones, Human Teeth, Thumb Flint or Scraper and Blackened Grain; a fifth Fine Sand, Burnt Bones and Charcoal; and a sixth an Urn and a Human Skeleton (NAT)

OS 25" map, (1904)

The tumulus, measuring 24' in diameter and 5' high, is shown by the plan not to be a chambered cairn. The first cist, No. 1, was found about 1853 when the land was brought under cultivation. The others were found in clearing away the tumulus about 1866. All the cists were found on the natural surface level. No. 2, which was probably the original burial, was surrounded by a double circle of boulders on the natural surface. Contents:- One flint flake; small pieces of baked clay, burnt bone; an entire 'Drinking Cup' urn, with skeleton; flint arrow-head, blackened grain; fragments of baked clay, probably urn; burnt bones, nearly semi-circular disc of bluish flint, black oats.

J M Joass 1870; M E C Mitchell 1934.

There is now only a very slight swelling in the ground at this site which lies in a cultivated field.

Visited by OS (R D L) 16 May 1963.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions