Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30 Shandwick Place

Art Gallery (19th Century) (1876), Tenement (19th Century) (1876)

Site Name Edinburgh, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30 Shandwick Place

Classification Art Gallery (19th Century) (1876), Tenement (19th Century) (1876)

Alternative Name(s) Albert Galleries; Albert Buildings

Canmore ID 147068

Site Number NT27SW 2335

NGR NT 24574 73656

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/147068

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (12 February 2001)

Portrait bust (facing left) of Prince Albert, in relief, in a roundel surrounded by foliage in a segmental pediment. At the top of the pediment is a shield on which is a lion rampant. The shield is surmounted by a castle and is flanked by thistles. Seated on either side of the pediment is a female figure: a woman with a bust of a girl (on the left) [Sculpture]; a woman holding a book in her left hand (on the right) [Poetry]. Each of the doorway pilasters is also carved with foliage.

The building was erected for the Scottish Heritages Company and completed in the spring of 1877. The company provided a hall within the building, to be used as a picture gallery. This was called the 'Albert Institute of the Fine Arts.'

[At the winter exhibition, opened on 28 November 1877, 'two graceful figures symbolical of "Painting" and "Sculpture" by Mrs D. O. Hill' (1) were shown amongst the sculpture in the gallery.]

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None visible

Design period : 1876 - 1877

Year of unveiling : 1877

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0193)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions