Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen, 34 - 48 Guild Street, Tivoli Theatre

Theatre (19th Century)

Site Name Aberdeen, 34 - 48 Guild Street, Tivoli Theatre

Classification Theatre (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 1 Trinity Street; Her Majesty's Opera House; Her Majesty's Theatre

Canmore ID 146357

Site Number NJ90NW 401

NGR NJ 94189 06033

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/146357

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NW 401 94189 06033

Tivoli Theatre [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1973.

Architecture Notes

(Location cited as NJ 941 059). Tivoli. Opened as 'Her Majesty's Opera House' in 1872 and reopened in 1910 (after a closure of 3 1/2 years) as the Tivoli Theatre. It became a bingo hall in 1966, and remains complete.

Style, Italian renaissance. Front: Peterhead granite with bands of red and white Turriff freestone; six pillars of polished red granite at the base, with the pediments of the Gothic windows inlaid with ornamental firebricks. Side- and back-walls are of concrete; the building being of considerable interest in this respect.

(Newspaper and periodical references cited).

NMRS, MS/712/83.

Her Majesty's Theatre was built to the designs of C J Phipps and James Matthews, the existing frontage is still the Matthew's original to Her Majesty's. In 1910, after his success in the building of His Majesty's Theatre (Rosemount Viaduct, Aberdeen), Frank Matcham was employed to refit the interior.

Information from RCAHMS

(CAJS) 2000

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions