Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Essential maintenance

HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:

- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)

 - Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)

 - Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)

 General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

 We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

 

Edinburgh, Craigiehall House, Grotto Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Craigiehall House, Grotto Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Riverside Road; Craigiehall Bridge; River Almond; Craigiehall Policies

Canmore ID 145878

Site Number NT17NE 171

NGR NT 17091 75221

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/145878

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT17NE 171 17091 75221

Grotto Bridge [NAT] (at NT 1709 7522)

OS 1:10,000 map, 1989.

For Craigiehall House (NT17NE 29.00 16671 75424) and related buildings, see NT17NE 29.00.

For adjacent and associated grotto (NT 17034 75239), see NT17NE 42.

For Cammo House (NT 1739 7470) and related buildings, see NT17SE 62.00.

A picturesque-style whinstone and sandstone bridge over the River Almond situated at the SW end of Riverside Road.

The bridge was built to similar style to the adjacent bath house/grotto and formerly provided access to Lennie Hill farmstead and the Temple (NT17SE 264). It is now a pedestrian only bridge.

The bridge measures about 30m on a single segmented arch and is 4.0m wide with splayed outer ends. There are two plaques, one on the W side, with the date 1757, the other 'UTILI DULCI', both on the outer face of the parapet wall. In addition, there is evidence of some decorative irtonwork at the S end and a small iron ring at the E side of the N end.

Some relatively recent repointing has been undertaken.

The ornamental bridge forms part of the group in the a similar style, the Grotto and Bath house (NT17NE 42) and was possibly designed by John or James Adam.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, EL), 18 September 2007

The Grotto Bridge carries the Northern approach (from Craigiehall) into the Cammo Estate over the River Almond. The Grotto in question (NT17NE 42) is on the Craigiehall Estate.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 15 April 2008.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions