Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tarbat House

Country House (18th Century), Stable(S) (18th Century)

Site Name Tarbat House

Classification Country House (18th Century), Stable(S) (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Tarbat House Policies

Canmore ID 14587

Site Number NH77SE 15

NGR NH 77013 73611

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14587

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmuir Easter
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH77SE 15.00 77013 73611

NH77SE 15.01 NH 7623 7398 Entrance Lodge

NH77SE 15.02 NH 76701 74897 East Lodge

Architecture Notes

Built to replace old Tarbat House at NH77SE 9 in 1787.

ARCHITECT: J MacLeran

REFERENCE: SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Cromartie muniments-Tarbat House Contracts. Three contracts for iron and mason work specified and detailed, for alterations to Tarbat House, 1723-9 GD305/1/147/63-65

BIBLIOGRAPHIC REFERENCE: NMRS LIBRARY

Country Life, Sept 19th 1977 Lord Tarbat's Development of Cromarty Firth by Monica Clough

Site Management (13 October 1997)

Austere classical mansion: fine tooled ashlar, polished ashlar dressings; harled rear. 3 storeys and attic, 7 bays. Slightly advanced pedimented centre 3 bays with centre corniced and pilastered doorpiece in ground floor; double leafed panelled door; band course above; (later side entrance in projecting porch at east elevation). Long corniced 1st floor windows linked by moulded cill band to similar windows in 3-bay east and west return elevations; smaller windows in 2nd floor; moulded architect to all windows except in rear.

Includes some fragments of original New Tarbat House, built by Sir George Mackenzie, Viscount Tarbat, circa 1690. (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Photographic Survey (October 1963)

Photographic survey of Tarbat House, Ross and Cromarty, by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Works in October 1963.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions