Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Logie Easter Parish Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Logie Easter Parish Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Marybank, Former Logie Easter Parish Church

Canmore ID 14581

Site Number NH77NW 9

NGR NH 7498 7612

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14581

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Logie Easter
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH77NW 9 7498 7612.

(NH 7498 7612) Church (NAT) (In Ruins) on Site of Chapel (NR)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

At Marybank there is a ruined church. Its walls are practically intact, with the exception of the south wall, which is broken down.

The body of the church is a somewhat narrow parallel-ogram, from the northern side of which projects a gabled wing. The church is thought to be pre-Reformation, although the north wing appears to be of considerably later date than the rest of the church. The unenclosed grave- yard contains many stones. One of them is dated 1593, but the date is not thought to be original.

ISSFC 1902.

A post-Reformation church on the site of a pre- Reformation chapel. The church has been in disuse since 1767, but the surrounding burial ground is still in use.

Name Book 1873.

This church is as generally described above, but only the W and N gables now stand to roof height, ie. c.6.0m. The other walls vary in height from 0.5 to 2.0m, and are up to 0.8m thick.

About a dozen grave slabs can still be seen in the burial ground, but none have legible dates.

Visited by OS (R D L) 19 May 1963.

The roofless shell of this T-plan church stands 200m SE of Marybank. Built of mortared rubble, it survives to gable height on the N and W; the chamfered windows indicate a 17th century date for the church but some of the tombstones in the surrounding graveyard appear to be of earlier date. (Succeeded by NH77NE 5.)

RCAHMS 1979, visited November 1978.

Architecture Notes

This was the original LOGIE EASTER PARISH CHURCH, which was replaced as the Parish Church around 1818 by the building of the church at NH77NE 6. This in turn was replaced as Parish Church by the church at NH77NE 8 (former United Free Church). NH77NE 8 remains the present LOGIE EASTER PARISH CHURCH.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions