Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Selkirk, Dunsdale Road, Gardiner's Tweed Mill

Tweed Mill (19th Century)

Site Name Selkirk, Dunsdale Road, Gardiner's Tweed Mill

Classification Tweed Mill (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Gardiner's Of Selkirk; Edward Gardiner; United Turkey Co Ltd; Selfridges; Tweed Mills

Canmore ID 145583

Site Number NT42NE 101

NGR NT 4700 2920

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/145583

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Selkirk
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT42NE 101 4700 2920

During March 1999, RCAHMS conducted a photographic survey of the remaining textile related industrial heritage in Selkirk. The purpose of this survey was to enhance and augment the holdings of the existing National Monuments Record Scotland.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), March 1999.

Built in 1883 as a weaving and spinning mill, the mill was originally owned by Alexander Gibson, Edward Gardiner, WE McNairn, Colin Brown and I McJackson. Following forclosure by Gibson in 1895, the mill was taken over by Edward Gardiner. It remained in his hands until 1945, when a consortium including the United Turkey Co. Ltd., and Selfridges bought over the company. In 1954 Brown and Jackson took over. A spinning mill was added in 1971, being built on the site of the former Cochrane, Smith's Dunsdale Dyehouse.

Information taken from 'The Little Guide to Selkirk Mills', c. 2000.

Standing building recording NT 470 292 A programme of historic building recording was undertaken in December 2005 on a former mill building (NT42NE 101) prior to its redevelopment. The building was part of a larger complex that made up Tweed Mill, and was thought to have been built in 1883 and continued in use into the 1990s.

Archive to be deposited in NMRS.

Sponsor: J S Crawford Contracts (Borders) Ltd.

D Wilson 2005.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions