Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Edinburgh, Leith, Water Street, Cooper's Infirmary

Infirmary (19-20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, Water Street, Cooper's Infirmary

Classification Infirmary (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Watergate; Water Lane

Canmore ID 145551

Site Number NT27NE 294

NGR NT 27078 76360

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/145551

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 294 27078 76360

Building, now demolished, which formerly stood on the NE side of Water Street (Lane). Random rubble with slated roof,central block with armorial panel.

The building stood at the corner of Bowies Close andf is shown on the OS 1:1056 scale map ( Edinburgh and its Environs (coloured), 1853, sheet 13) and John Ainslies of 1804.

Water Lane changed its name to Water Street sometime between 1876 and 1884 (Edinburgh and Leith Post Office Directories, 1875-1876 and 1883-1884).

Architecture Notes

NT27NE 294 27078 76360

Exact location unknown at time of upgrade (27.5.1999).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions